Symptoms of oral cancer
Some of the warning signs and symptoms of oral cancer include the following.
- Mouth sores that do not heal
- Bleeding in your mouth that lasts for over a week
- A dramatic change in the voice of smokers
- Numbness in the chin or the lower lip
- Constant pain in the mouth for two weeks
- Slow lumps in the neck and mouth
- Earaches that are persistent
How to prevent oral cancer?
- Do not use tobacco. Using tobacco will expose your mouth to chemicals that can cause oral cancer.
- Visit your dentist regularly. This will help them determine and treat any precancerous growths or lesions in your mouth.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or do so in moderation. This is because alcohol irritates the cells in your mouth that can trigger certain carcinogens.
- Protect your lips from exposure to sunlight. Apply a sunscreen product on the lips as part of your skincare regimen. You can also wear shades to protect your lips against sun exposure.
How can you treat oral cancer?
Radiation therapy makes use of high-energy beams such as protons and X-rays to kill cancerous cells. This treatment is given after surgery, but it can also help in the treatment of mouth cancer in the early stages.
Chemotherapy utilizes chemicals to kill your cancer cells. It can be given along with other kinds of cancer treatments. For instance, it helps in increasing the effectiveness of radiation therapy.
Targeted therapy alters specific parts of your cancer cells that fuel the growth of cancer. It can be used along with radiation and chemotherapy.
Immunotherapy uses the immune system to fight against your cancer. The cancer cells produce proteins that affect your immune system. Immunotherapy interferes and disrupts this process.
If you require any treatment, you can reach out to Prolife Cancer Centre and Research Institute in Pune.
About Dr. Sunil Shah
Dr. Sumit Shah is the Founder of Prolife Cancer Centre & Research Institute which provides the most comprehensive and integrated Cancer Treatment under one roof. He is the Chief Consultant, Surgical Oncologist & Laparoscopic surgeon. He has pursued a super speciality course at the Cancer Centre Welfare Home and Res. Institute, Kolkata and being awarded as the Best Outgoing Cancer Surgeon from this Institute. Dr. Shah is one of the few Oral Cancer specialists in Pune who possess this recognized degree in Surgical Oncology.