As states begin to lift lockdown, people are beginning to venture out in public more frequently. But due to this risk of getting infected to novel coronavirus for cancer patient also increased. In such situation, is it safe to go in public? How social distancing can be maintained?
Here are some tips for cancer patients to follow during unlock phase
- Cancer patients and survivors are uniquely vulnerable to COVID-19, therefore it is advised for cancer patients to stay home, whenever possible and go outside only if required.
Every patient is different, so check with your cancer specialist about your specific risk. Many types of cancer treatment weaken the immune system. Chemotherapy, immunotherapy and even radiation therapy reduce the body’s ability to fight against the infection. Therefore ask your cancer doctor regarding the cancer treatment.
- The cancer survivors are also advised to stay home. But it’s also important to contact your doctor for guidance. They can help you regarding concerns and your particular situation.
Treatments like stem cell transplants, leave patients with weakened immune systems for months or even years after cancer treatment has ended. This can make them more vulnerable to infections than other cancer patients.
As we don’t have vaccine for coronavirus yet, it is good to continue practicing social distancing and washing your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- The person who already had COVID-19 and recovered are also advised to stay home as doctors aren’t sure yet if people who have recovered from the coronavirus will have any immunity.
Following social distancing will not only minimize your risk of contracting the virus again, but also keep you from infecting other people, if you’re still shedding the virus.
- If you are going to open air spaces like parks, be careful while touching surfaces that other people have touched. Wear a mask and stay at least 6 fit away from other and washing your hands frequently.
- Also there are few cases where dogs and cats have infected to COVID-19. So, practice social distancing with your pets, too. Don’t let your dog play with other animals or their owners at a dog park. And don’t let strangers pet or interact closely with your animals while out in the neighbourhood.
- Cancer patients should wear a face mask or fabric mask anywhere they go. For everyone else, it’s a good idea to wear a cloth face mask when going out in public as an added precaution. That’s because social distancing can be harder to maintain in these spaces.
Wearing a mask can also provide a visual cue, reminding others to keep their distance. This can be especially important for cancer patients, who are uniquely vulnerable to COVID-19.
- Cancer patient can schedule appointment for cancer treatment. Cancer hospitals should take precautions for people’s safety and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
At Prolife Cancer Centre we are taking following precautions for patients safety:
- All patients are screened for COVID – 19 at entry.
- Face masks are required for everyone coming to our cancer hospital. This includes all employees in all patient care areas. Face masks will continue to be disseminated at all screening entry points.
- Visitors are currently restricted at Prolife cancer centre, with some limited exceptions.
- Our employees remain responsive to the needs of our patients and during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Different states have different self-quarantine requirements and travel restrictions, so check with local authorities for the most up-to-date and accurate information on those. Also ask your cancer care team about whether and when you should travel to maintain your cancer treatment/surveillance schedule. In some cases, your care team may be able to provide virtual visit options.
- If you suspect that you are infected with COVID-19, stay at home as much as possible and separate yourself from other people. Call your doctor and to report any changes in your condition and follow any instructions they give you. Wash your hands and clean high-touch surfaces in your area often. Wear mask, cover your cough, and check temperature twice daily to monitor your progress.
Dr. Sumit Shah is the best oncologist in Pune. As a cancer specialist, he aims to help cancer patients. Furthermore, he offers extensive palliative care, surveillance care, and other solutions for all types of cancer patients. If you need any type information regarding cancer treatment you can immediately contact the best cancer hospital in Pune, Prolife Cancer Center.