Lymphoma refers to the cancer of your lymphatic system. It starts in the lymphocytes, which are a kind of white blood cell. These cells fight the diseases in your body and play an important role in the immune defenses of your body.
As this cancer occurs in the lymph system, it quickly metastasizes or spreads to different organs and tissues throughout your body. Lymphoma can spread to your lungs, bone marrow, or liver.
People belonging to any age can get Lymphoma, but it is among the most common kind of cancer in young adults and children. It affects those between the age of 15 and 24 years. But, it can be treated easily.
Causes of Lymphoma
In most cases, the causes of Lymphoma are not known.
You may be at risk if you-
- Are older or in your 60’s for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Are you between the age of 15 and 40 or above 55 in case of Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Are male. Some subtypes are more common in women.
- Have a weak immunity because of AIDS/HIV, or organ transplant, or have an immune disease
- Have been infected by viruses such as hepatitis C, Epstein-Barr, etc.
- Had a family history of Lymphoma
- Exposure to chemicals like benzene
- Treated for radiation
Symptoms of Lymphoma
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen glands (lymph nodes), often in the armpit, groin, and neck are not painful.
During a consultation, a doctor may ask for the following for diagnosing your Lymphoma.
- Imaging tests
- Removing a bone marrow sample for testing
- Blood tests
- Lymph node removal for testing
- Physical examination
Treatment and care
The following are the treatments for Lymphoma.
If you suspect you have any of the above symptoms, it is better to get in touch with a doctor. The doctor will diagnose whether you have Lymphoma or not by conducting certain imaging and blood tests. In case you require a thorough diagnosis, you can reach out to Prolife Cancer Centre and Research Institute at Pune.
About Dr. Sumit Shah
Dr. Sumit Shah is the Founder of Prolife Cancer Centre & Research Institute which provides the most comprehensive and integrated Cancer Treatment under one roof. He is the Chief Consultant, Surgical Oncologist & Laparoscopic surgeon. He has pursued a super speciality course at the Cancer Centre Welfare Home and Res. Institute, Kolkata, and being awarded as the Best Outgoing Cancer Surgeon from this Institute. Dr. Shah is one of the few Cancer Specialist in Pune who possess this recognized degree in Surgical Oncology.
Dr. Sumit Shah has treated more than 20000 cancer patients. He is one of the few cancer specialists who perform Minimal Access (keyhole) Surgery to offer his patients a smooth & pain-free recovery from Cancer.